The Coburg state theatre (Landestheater) is a three-part theatre with music theatre, drama, and ballet. It is more than just a place for the fine arts. The people of Coburg love their stage and have done so for centuries. The theatre tradition dates back to 1683, when Duke Albrecht had a theatre hall built in the arsenal where travelling theatres gave guest performances. Today’s state theatre with its neo-classical facade was built around 1840. The main building consists of a multi-part classicist complex with a foyer, auditorium, and stage, a three-storey central building and wing buildings on the sides. It is one of the most magnificent and - with 488 seats and 100 standing places - one of the largest of its kind not only in Upper Franconia but also in the whole of Bavaria.