Since the Christianisation of Franconia and Thuringia, Coburg belonged to the Diocese of Würzburg until the beginning of the Reformation in 1524. After this time, the town remained almost entirely Protestant for centuries. After the reunification of the Free State of Coburg with Bavaria, the Coburg State Church joined the Bavarian State Church in 1921. They formed their own deanery in Coburg. Multiple churches bore witness to this historic development.