Coburg’s market place (Marktplatz) was then as now the centre of urban life in Coburg. It was first constructed in the early 15th century. The cobblestone pavement was laid only a few decades later. Seven alleys lead from the market place into the old town. The monument of Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha has been the central point of the market place since 1865. To the north stands the town house (Stadthaus) in the style of the late German Renaissance with decorative figures on top of the gables. At the corners, visitors notice the famous Coburg oriels (Coburger Erker), which only exist in Coburg. Opposite rises the Renaissance town hall (Rathaus). A colourful weekly market is held here twice a week. An ingenious lighting concept illuminates the market place at night.