- Castles & Palaces, Sights
The “Rosenauschlösschen” at the Rittersteich is one of the oldest, precisely dated secular buildings in all of Germany and, along with the Münzmeisterhaus and the Steinerne Kemenate, one of the oldest privately owned buildings in Coburg. A castle was first mentioned in 1397. Today’s elaborately renovated building is a remnant of a moated castle built in 1435 between Rosenauer Straße and Hahnweg, which was commissioned by the Lords of Rosenau, who had become wealthy as Coburg mint masters. The building used to be surrounded by water and was only accessible via a drawbridge. It was also used as a ducal fish house and wash house. After the Second World War, the State theatre used the building as a scenery warehouse before it visibly fell into disrepair. After renovation in 1981, it became the offices of the Coburg construction site management of the Bamberg state building authority and, since 2013, the Criminal Investigation Advice Centre of the Coburg Criminal Investigation Department.